Let’s keep an eye on this:
Prevention for patients with defective vision
Prevention with defective vision - short-sightedness
Severe short-sighted patients have a higher risk to suffer from macular changes. Undiagnosed and without therapy, this can lead to irreparable eye damage. Early treatment can save the visual acuity and eyesight. We are there for you!
Short-sightedness and stretching of the retina
Very often, short-sighted people suffer from retinal issues.
Consequently, short-sightedness can lead to the following problems:
- Retinal hole
- Retina rupture
- Retina detachment
The retina of short-sighted people is always stretched. This results in a great number of retinal problems. Therefore, we advise short-sighted patients to pay, together with us, special attention for the prevention of diseases through prophylactic screening.
Why eye prevention is so important for short-sighted patients
The retina of short-sighted people is always stretched. This results in a great number of retinal problems.
The more profound the short-sightedness, the stronger the stretching of the retina. Therefore, the retina is more likely to rupture for short-sighted people. This brings the danger of a greater likeliness for retinal holes. Without detection and treatment, a retinal hole can lead to retina detachment and blindness.
Early detection of retinal damage: Saving your eyesight
Avoid retina detachment
When pathological changes like these are detected early, a retina detachment can be avoided through laser treatment. This can save the eyesight.
Short-sighted people are more prone to pathological eye diseases
Myopic patients develop more often pathological changes in the macular area, like new vessel growth (myopic CNV), that can cause irreparable damage when not treated. Here, too, an early treatment (for example, intravitreal injections) can save the eyesight.
What is done at a preventive eye screening for short-sighted patients?
This is how the schedule of a preventive screening at our practice will be like:
- Apart from classical eye prevention, we take a lot of care for a good retina examination of our short-sighted patients. Therefore, we always examine with a „wide pupil“. This means that our patients receive pupil-dilating eyedrops.
- Then, the retina is examined not only with a slit-lamp and magnifiers but also by taking pictures of the macula and by wide-angle photography.
Short-sighted patients: When is the time for prevention?
From when on and how often does eye prevention for short-sighted patients make sense?
- We recommend a preventive screening once a year after your 40th birthday or at least every other year.
- Patients who experience visual disturbances, like seeing flashes or a blurry vision, are advised to see an eye doctor very soon.
Our preventive services for short-sighted patients
We offer the following prophylactic examinations especially for patients with short-sightedness:
- Early detection of retinal problems for short-sighted patients
- Avoidance of weakness in vision (amblyopia) for children with defective vision with / without strabismus